Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Derailed

Quinn, guessing you may have heard about this one. Spillway chair:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ski_lift_accident

Wish I had some better news after snow gods just smiled on me. I've now received 26" of uber-light blower snow at my house since the 14th and snow up on the mountains around my house is now deep!...was too deep actually. When my house was finally plowed out at noon from the 14" my backyard got on Monday I decided to head up to my local bc spot. Was the only person there. Brutal skinning as there must have been close to 18" of fresh up there, plus the 12" of light grade stuff that was already laid down. In wind exposed areas the drifts were waist deep, even rocking the Coombas. Dropped off the ENE facing slope for a 1st run since barely a puff of wind had hit the snow surface on that side. Thigh deep and not enough pitch to get the Coombas up on a plane...straight lined the whole thing :( Not sure the exact pitch, but it's basically just too steep to skin directly up. So decided to head over to the NW aspect. That aspect had received way more wind exposure, but definitely more pitch, at least was able to get the skis up on a plane and make a couple turns that send waves of white over top. Also the wind scrapped areas allowed me to build up speed so that when I dropped in the deep areas I had a good head of steam. Brutal day but I guess it will be a good workout for next month's adventures. Hoping a dawn patrol attack on Mt. Equinox is in the works for Friday before what looks to be a mini-thaw event to start the new year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hils said...

I heard a rumor that that was your first day of the season! Is that true!?!?

7:04 PM  
Blogger TKsports! said...

can we get some pics?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Quinn Keating said...

yeah, yesterday was nutts everywhere. while sugarloaf derailed, I worked on 2 BC search and rescues over the course of a 16 hour day.

9:14 AM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

Yup first day...reality of the family life can be rather stark for my ski dreams. No $ for tix, no time to climb.
TK, yah in typical Greenie fashion, no pics. Got one visual for you though. Cooper, who is 4, is standing in the tunnel of snow dug out with the snowblower out in the middle of our yard. The snow is up to his armpits so that he is holding his arms straight out and resting them on top of the snowpack.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home