Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's snowing in the Tetons















Just back from an overnight in Garnett Canyon, Grand Teton National Park with my friend Chris. The trip started with a nice bike ride on the closed park road to get to the trailhead. We hiked up in mostly dry conditions to camp in Garnett Canyon Meadows. The snow started falling as we set up camp and didn't stop the rest of the trip. Morning greeted us with 12 inches of fresh powder around our tent. We made our way up to the base of our intended destination, the Cave Couloir. After examining the snowpack we decided against entering the Couloir as there was way more than 12 inches of windblown snow there sitting on top of a sketchy crust. Our snow tests triggered it way too easily for comfort. We opted to ski some adjacent more mellow terrain with less exposure. The pow was still deep. As we left the canyon, it was snowing harder than it had been all weekend. We were able to ski about a mile below our camp before removing our skis to prevent core shots on the rocky trail. The snow extended to the valley floor where we finished with a snowy ride out.

I invited Tim to get in on the action. He said something about his leash being too short. I think he had a nice weekend shopping in Idaho Falls. Got a nice new coffee maker. I believe I saw a bag from the GAP too. Must've been a blast.

Hope to get some turns in with Hils and Seth next week before heading off for 10 days in Belize with my girlfriend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Erik B said...

Natkin,

That is by far the best smack talk I have ever heard from you. Congratulations.

Way to get after it. I had fun getting yelled at for hiking Killington. They weren't too impressed with my "this is state land so suck my cock" argument, and threatened to place a life time ban on me. Assholes.

11:21 PM  
Blogger pvb said...

Nice Natkin, that is some wilderly stuff. Have you been out to Togwotee Pass? I had some phenomenal Nov. skiing out there years ago. Man, I can still vividly remember one great line that I got in there. Plus there's an awesome diner, maybe called "The Hatchet(?)," that you can hit on the way back.

And I don't blame Timmy G, IF has the best shopping in the Rocky Mountain West...hands down. I mean have you SEEN the Target there?

8:22 AM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

I hate you...I hate you all, well maybe not pvb because i know he hasn't skied yet. Talked to a buddy who just skied at Alta, said the snow was awesome. Sounds like the no-snatch Wasatch are getting in on the goodies too.
I had a great weekend cleaning the house, taking care of a sick child and wife and watching the Giants get run over by the Cowboys. Sweet!
Anybody hear from TK? He's been silenced by something.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Quinn Keating said...

skied stowe yesterday with 8 friends and 6 dog friends. Party time. Pretty good stuff up top, a far cry from Bals' man made whale backs. Go north young man, go north.

Natty, good shit man. looks like a great trip.

Grayson, oh man...

11:53 AM  
Blogger tim said...

It is not nice to make up stuff just to try to put somebody down, but if that is the only way you can come up with to talk shit and make yourself look witty, I guess that is what you have to resort to, Notjon'sdietpepsi. For all you other bloggers' sake, I never intended to accompany Jon on his winter camping excursion, and had more interesting plans. Even though my girlfriend encourages me to hang out with my friends, I prefer sleeping in a tent with Melanie. She smells much better and doesn't snore... Balls, you want to weigh in on that?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Erik B said...

Well I can say that cracking your sleepy eyes in the morning only a few inches from Natkins crusty peepers and gaping drooling mouth is a shock that no man should bare.

But on the other hand, I'm inclined to believe Natkin, at least he calls you back when he says he will.....

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home