Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Winter is building momentum

Enough of this lovey-dovey wedding crap...back to the important stuff.

I thought this winter long range forecast was interesting:
http://www.accuweather.com/news-weather-features.asp?date=2009-10-14_12:55

since he draws a lot of parallels with the winter of '02-'03 which was my rookie year on ski patrol. And i've been thinking how much this fall resembled that fall as well. I remember that year, I arrived for an interview with the patrol director on Halloween and they had just opened Superstar on an all natural snow base, just for a couple hours. By Thanksgiving we could have opened the entire mountain with the exception of a few of the more gnarly pitches like lower Ovation & the Fiddle on an all natural snow base except the mountain didn't have the staff. I remember doing sled training in middle November in waist deep powder. Then came X-mas and a monster nor'easter that gave us 3+ feet of snow. Unfortunately that year fell short in comparison to the snows of '00-'01 because we went into the deep freeze after the New Year and struggled to get more than a few inches at a clip until March.
Taking a ski down memory lane

3 Comments:

Blogger TKsports! said...

Winter 2000-2001 will still be one of my favorite winters ever. Senior year, combined with copious amounts of powder skiing (I think Seth and I got close to 50-60 days that year) was quite memorable. I just remember this run with Seth: Upper Snowfield to Salsa Shack to the Nile being epic. Then I moved to Jackson and almost shit myself.

8:08 PM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

'00-'01 is "the" legendary year of eastern skiing...the pinnacle. My first year teleing, my first year really exploring the nooks & crannies of the 'loaf. My greatest memory from that year was returning from sub-par Taos at the end of January to find epic conditions back east and taking the legendary road trip with the Balz, Hils, Sethy & Fithian starting at Sugarloaf going through Jay & Sugarbush. Stuff that dreams are made of.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Quinn Keating said...

The mountains of northern VT have their annual autumn frosty tops on these days. 3 - 5 inches fell a few days ago and temps have been cool enough to keep things about for the most part. It's 26 degrees right now out side (8:45). 50's forecasted for next week so we're still in fall for sure. Fine by me, still lots of chores to take care of before winter's arrival.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home