Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Me Time

I sit here with a fairly major winter storm bearing down on me...but right now that isn't what is engulfing my thoughts. No, right now my mind is more at ease than it has been in a long time because I'm finally getting some "Me Time." A little background to the story, my wife & 4 year old son are down in Florida for the week leaving me alone with my 17 month old daughter.
So what's so funny/interesting about "Me Time" that it makes me gain the gumption to write a blog post about it? Well it's that the definition of "Me Time" has so drastically changed from 4 years ago in my world that it is fairly laughable. See 4 years ago "Me Time" meant me being alone or with good friends who I don't always get to see...most likely in a wilderness setting or ski resort or going out on the town or even just lounging around the house getting some odd-jobs done you've been meaning to do. Most of you folks can nod your head in agreement with that definition of "Me Time." Okay now fast forward 4 years to this evening...picture me with a large grin on my face, recounting some Marley in my head as I get to clean out the sink, scrub down all our counters, talk to Keating for 1/2 hour, do a big cleaning of one of the bathrooms; and I'm all finished by 10:00. 10:00...usually the clock would read 12:30 or later trying to get all that done in a night.
That by my standards in 2011 is "Me Time"...no kids crying because I'm not giving them attention as I try to clean, no mad wife because I missed 4 sentences in her 1.5 hour blow-by-blow synopsis of her day, nobody I need to get ready for bed, make sure they brushed their teeth properly, are properly sharing toys, playing nicely, dressed appropriately, juice cup is full, nose doesn't need to be wiped, house is trashed and needs to be picked up...JUST ME & 1 CHILD. EASY! PLENTY OF ME TIME!! Ahhhhhhh, zen-like state :)

Now don't get me wrong, I would never trade in my kids for the world cause they can put just as many smiles on my face in a given day as any waist deep day ever has...but it sure is damn nice to have "Me Time" no matter what your definition.

2 Comments:

Blogger Quinn Keating said...

Well put, Dave. Cheers.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Hils said...

Can't wait until your "me time" includes all of us in Utah!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home