Monday, December 17, 2007

Avalanche Awareness

Hello Balls Deepers,
With all the freshies that everyone seems to have been getting recently, let's remember to stay safe out there. Although I have had some formal training in the past and a decent amount of back-country skiing experience with friends, I had never taken a level 1 avalanche course until this last weekend. It really helped me connect a lot of information and put pieces together. Thinking about weather, terrain, snowpack and the human element collectively helped me gain a very different perspective. I was also able to reflect on the many DUMB things I have done in the past. IF THERE IS ANYONE ON THIS BLOG THAT HAS NOT TAKEN AN AVALANCHE 1 CLASS, DO NOT PUT IT OFF ANY LONGER. Mine was WAY overdue. I know that I will look at things very differently going out there from now on.

A word of wisdom from the class:

"If you are going out with 3 people and somebody doesn't have their shovel, I recommend giving them yours."

5 Comments:

Blogger pvb said...

Wachusett reports moderate conditions on the lower slopes, but avi danger is considerable on elevations higher than the magic carpet.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Quinn Keating said...

Holy shit pvb, i think i just pissed myself laughing.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Erik B said...

That was, quite possibly, the funniest thing I have ever read

7:59 PM  
Blogger Johnpaul said...

I love your use of wit in your blog!!! Thanks for the read!!

11:43 AM  
Blogger TKsports! said...

Thats fucking hilarious Pierre...when you coming back out here to ski? Door is open in Evergreen! Tim, I can't believe you've been in Jackson for two years and haven't taken an Avy 1 course, or died....

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home