Thursday, January 31, 2008

Snap Back to REaliTy

Back in Southern VT...with a solid two inches on the ground over ice. I may be dreaming but I think I just visited Paradise and yesterday, fell from Paradise.
Let me summarize my trip to SLC...ski deep powder by day, party by night...press repeat. I will try to keep this as short as possible and stick to the facts...
Got off the plane last Thursday where Hilz picked me up. I dropped off my bags, packed my bc gear and we were hiking in Emigration Canyon within 2 hrs of landing. First face shots of the trip. We booked it out of there to head over to the OR show where Chrissy had tickets waiting for us. For those of you that don't know, the OR show has every piece of gear you have ever drooled over under one roof. And the manufacturers are throwing beer, wine, champagne & snacks your way. Definite kid in the candy store jitters take over. We cruised back to Seth & Hilz' place with Chrissy, a co-worker of hers and one of Quinn & Chrissy's good friends Kip, and continued to drink. Big THANKS to Chrissy for those passes!
Next day, a tour up Silver Fork in Big Cottonwood w/ Hilz. Lot more deep, steep shots. That night was Hilz's b-day party, met a lot of cool people living in the area.
Thirday day, big tour w/Seth & Hilz starting in Little Cottonwood and jumping over to Big Cottonwood to ski in Days Fork. Yup, you guessed it, more face shots. Logged just over 5000', more than enough for my desk jockey ass. Went out to a nice dinner followed by a awesome Michael Franti & Spearhead concert. If you haven't seen a show of his, put it on the top of your list.
Fourth day, travel north to Powder Mt. skied fun chutes and gullies all day w/Becky (TK's ex) who is a ripping skier, her boyfriend, Seth & Hilz. Guess what we did after that kick-ass powder-day? Partied with a group of Vermonters out for the OR show. By now the body is starting to show some serious signs of fatigue, but with a major storm on the horizon, there's no time for rest.
Fifth day, got up to Snowbird before they closed the road. We couldn't make it to Alta because they had closed the road past Snowbird...lame. Skied some deep powder as the snow pounded down until they closed the resort at 1:00...boooo!!! We were interlodged in the Cliff Lodge, a very plush hotel at the bird that costs like $400-500 a night for the cheap rooms. So we made the best of it and started playing Asshole with a group of Colby alums we ran into and a few other people Seth & Hilz knew down in their lobby. Played Asshole until they opened the road at 5:30.
Sixth day, skied Alta w/Hilz. The snow had gotten pretty wind-hammered on the western aspects, but the eastern aspects were deep and incredible fluffy...more face shots. Afterwards we went over to a Utah brewer/homebrewers house for a sampling party. Got to drink some of his incredible homebrews (blows mine out of the water) and get to know the group who all hail from Bellingham, WA.
Anyway by the last day I could barely walk let alone ski so Hilz & I skipped the final morning tour before I got on the plane. I slept the entire plane ride from SLC to Baltimore.
Got no pic, hopefully Seth & Hilz can post some that they took. I still can't believe how much deep snow & fun was had. The stars all aligned on this one.
Anyway...snow to freezing rain here tomorrow, kick-ass!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger TKsports! said...

Wow, Greeny, sounds like you couldn't have had a better trip... I especially love the OR, homebrew, Franti, and Powder Mtn. bit. Wish I could have been there throwing daffies with you man! Next year lets organize that shit! You need to come out every year dood! Is Becky in SLC now? Last I heard she was in Jackson? Hope her boyfriend is as cool as me....hehehe. Glad you guys got to hang with Chrissy...sounds like Keating was jealin' a little....

1:35 PM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

Throwin daffies huh? Still got your backscrather-to-groin grab maneuver rocking? Becky is still up in Jackson, just came down to visit friends that were staying up at Powder Mtn, which ironically were the same friends that Seth & Hilz knew and were going to visit at Powder. Small world situation. My thoughts currently...balls deepers need to start converging on the Wasatch in the coming years. That trip seriously made me want to move there. Between the scene, the city and the skiing, I don't think there is a better combo to be had. That's my 2cents.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home