Sunday, January 13, 2008

An FD at A-Basin? More Utah Pow? & The Sundance Film Festival!

Some you may remember this 1969 movie starring the man who started it all - Robert Redford:

Back to Park City and SLC on Thursday Night.... Hoping to ski the Interconnect with Seth, Hils, and Erica (Alta to Big Cottonwood to Park City) if you guys can get the day off on Friday?? That means we would have to meet you on a bus we take from Park City on Friday Morning?? I'll call you and maybe we can work out the details? Lets Cross our fingers for some fresh pow out there this week! Erica and I will be shacked up in a 5,000 square foot PC 'lodge' with jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna for the weekend. We'll be skiing, drinking martinis, watching groundbreaking art, and hopefully getting a glimpse of Natalie Portman (oh please!!).
In other news, I got to ski Montezuma bowl this weekend at A-basin, a new part of the mountain that almost doubles the size of the resort. We were there when they dropped the ropes on the "expert" terrain for the first time ever. I was actually delightfully impressed with the the cliffs and steep shots in this new east facing bowl, about 1000 vertical feet. One cool thing was that I may have "First Descended" (unconfirmed) one of the cliff bands in the bowl....I dropped the first tracks on a 50 foot straight line over rock (with about 10 inches of snow on it) to a 15-foot drop. The Landing was plush, which is good, because there was a lot of hidden rocks underneath the snow in other parts of the bowl. Unfortunately, I have no pics to verify my claim. I think my new Smith helmet and goggles (DAY, thanks for the pro deal...) gave this washed up 28-year old Teleskier, my old Jackson Cahones back for at least a day. I better be careful before I put myself in the hospital. I wanted to name the cliff Eastern Ambition, but I'm sure some real A-Basiners' will have it named by this week. Overall a dumb move, but at least it got the adrenaline going in this old-man again.
Oh, Greeny count on at least some Colorado beer for you in SLC when you show up - as long as we don't drink it in a beer die match!!! And I would argue that Oregon, not Cali, is the other state with the best micro-brews West of the Ole' Miss.

Note: Seth and Hils could you guys maybe pick Erica and I up at the airport on Thursday night (our ride is going to pick us up later that night and take us to Park City) - that would be awesome if we could chill with you for a couple hours - Oooo, and I've got delicious beers for you and Greeny too!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger TKsports! said...

What happened to Natkin posting a TR from the Tetons....I'm a little unimpressed with the Teton Crew in terms of pics and stories from that last round of storms.....

9:53 PM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

TK, you wouldn't know a good beer if it walked up to you and slapped you across the face. I'll chalk it up to your ignorance of Cali breweries. You may like the Oregon vibe more...but no state comes close to doing it like Cali does it.
'Cause if you don't know, now you know...biotch. Russian River, Bear Republic, AleSmith, Firestone Walker, Port, Lagunitas, just to name a couple good ones off the top of the head.
Okay back to skiing...oh yeah it basically still sucks around here. More on that later.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home