Monday, February 11, 2008

A Wager to Show

As mentioned in my earlier thread after tripping and falling on the first turn, the southern New England horse is back on its feet and picking up steam on the backstretch. And with snow on the forecast map every other day for the next 15 days we are about to hit full stride.
Went out this weekend with enough fresh snow on the ground to get it billowing up to my neck and that was before yesterday's snow squalls. They reported lightning with the one squall yesterday up on Pico Mountain. Quinn there probably wouldn't have been enough snow for Merck earlier this weekend, but with almost a foot this weekend at my house it's primed to go. Saturday's snow was a surprising wallop, forecasted 2-4", received 8".
TK, the reason I reported what "seemed" to be normal snowfall for Summit County was because no area there is reporting above a 70" mid-way base. That seems awfully low base depth for a western area that has received 300" of snow. And by the way, aren't fur-lined parkas for the ladies and nopo's?
Anyway, sounds like everybody is getting in on the goodies coast-to-coast. Love it while you got it.

4 Comments:

Blogger TKsports! said...

Sorry Keating & Greeny, I haven't become a 45 year-old Vermonter who enjoys "tapping trees", chopping wood, and considers sipping tea and watching the fire prime Friday night entertainment. I like to believe this washed up 28-year old telemarker still retains some sort of youthful exuberance and ski style. You know as well as I do, Fur-lined parkas are for when we haven't had any snow in 6 days and you need to get STEEZY with the 16 year olds in the terrain park. Sorry dude, sliding boxes and rails in an Arcteryx parka, bibs, an gore-tex mitts is like riding a hard-tail in the West, you can do it but you'll probably get made fun of (at least those 'functional' Arcteryx bibs will keep your ass dry when your skis slide out from under you and you plummet ass first for the ground)
Our bases generally don't get over a hundred here because the snow is so light, unless you're in southern Colorado. Biggest I've ever seen Vail is 80 inches, and that is super filled in. The mountain is really well covered at 50 inches! Even Jackson usually hovers around 100 inches on big years. Off to Florida this weekend for limos, strip clubs, and charter fishing i.e. my buddy Steve's Bachelor Party! West Palm Beach here I come!

10:45 PM  
Blogger tim said...

I can't wait to see your night club pix. I'll be stokin' the fire.

10:02 AM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

Don't forget about reading Robert Frost poems while watching the fire & sipping my tea. Don't worry, maybe one day you'll find joy of crafting things on your own. It's kind of like skiing bc, you enjoy it more when you get after it on your own steam.
I think I'm going to lose it pretty soon. 24hrs ago, forecast here was for 8-14". Currently, dumping rain. I think I will echo a remark made by Seth when I was out in SLC when he said he couldn't take the fickleness of New England weather anymore and had to get out.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Quinn Keating said...

that sucks Greeny. 12 inches up here today. little windy this AM but things got pretty damn good by noon.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home