Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Battle Lost

A moment away from the stoke.

I received some awful news upon my return from my Northern Vermont adventures. A friend of mine had lost his battle with drug addiction and passed away on Friday. Micah, a 27 year old Brookline native, passed out behind the wheel of his car while on his way to a heroin detox center in Minnesota. His car crossed the grassy median strip on the highway and collided with an eighteen wheeler coming the other way.

I haven't talked to Micah for over a year. He moved to the mid-west, feeling that a geographic cure to a problem that resided within his soul would alleviate his silent suffering. I remember being upset with him for abruptly leaving, he needed to put down stronger roots, get some more time under his belt, we had told him, before trying something so rash as to moving to a place where he lacked a support network. And today I will attend his funeral. Sad.

I wanted to share this with y'all because I wanted to let you all now how blessed I feel to have friends such as yourselves. Though most of you are scattered across the country, I talk to you regularly, and garner strength from the friendships which have survived herculean trials.
Thanks for being simply amazing people.

That's the end of my rant.

1 Comments:

Blogger TKsports! said...

sorry to hear that balls. I'm happy that you've turned the corner as hard as you have. I know its been tough for you, but I think I speak for all of us by saying that we're all stoked to have you skiing pow opposed to the Balls of old....

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home