Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Outing

Been meaning to do a short synopsis from the trip to Colorado but since TK covered most of the bases so i may skip that one.

Got out yesterday for some turns on the first day of spring. March has been unusually warm so far with temps topping the 70 mark twice now and we haven't had a single day not reaching at least 40 here. Check out high temps here for Dorset for the month...we've been warmer than Denver for the month:
http://www.accuweather.com/us/vt/dorset/05251/forecast-month.asp?view=table

Last time I saw snow on the ground at my house besides plow piles was prior to leaving for CO first weekend of March, but luckily for me snow depths were probably at an all time high at elevation in the mountains around me. So despite all the warmth I decided to take an exploratory hike up a mountain across the valley from my house, a mtn that has thrown me a bunch of curveballs trying to get to the top...but each time a learn a little more about its secrets. Also as an extra hitch, we haven't seen more that a valley frost for almost a week so that I knew could also pose a problem. Either way decided to go for it.
Parked my car at 1400' and expected a decent boot-in before finding enough snow so I could don the skis. Was pleasantly surprised to see that by the first creek crossing about 100 yds from my car, snow coverage & depth quickly jumped. Was able to skin the rest of the way up the mtn. By the time I reached the northern & mostly shaded areas not only were the creek beds still completely covered over, but I couldn't take off my skis because I would sink into the unconsolidated snow base up past my waist (made that mistake once will eating lunch). My dog Trixie was hating me for it...she was wallowing in it.
Anyway, so finally made it to the ridgeline just below the summit and found that skiing through the woods was almost impossible, because I would sink 3-6" into the mank snow at each turn. So carefully made my way back to a logging road I crossed along the way not far below the ridge. On the logging road I could get enough speed to keep me afloat in the mank, got re-aquainted with my old alpine turn and had a blast cruising the moderately steep logging road back down towards the valley...was able to ski right up to the point where the logging road cut above my car.
Awesome to see all the snow in the mountains around here...hoping that it lasts well into April when my schedule calms down and I can enjoy another day out there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quinn Keating said...

nice greeny. way to get after it...mank or blower, it's still skiing in my book. 1.5 weeks left at the mtn. new tires on the mtn bike. a few trips to Oakes, Monroe, etc, and then it's time to wear shorts. this winter's been a funny one, i'm ready for summer.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home