Monday, March 12, 2007

Greetings from AK

It's been a while since there's been work from AK, so here's the skinny. The 5 week snow drought we had been enduring (1/26-3/7) finally ended on Wednesday with over 2' of fresh at Alyeska. My brother arrived for a visit on Wed. afternoon, just in time for a day of powder in Girdwood. One of the best of the season with nearly 3' blown in on the North Face and bluebird skies by the day's end. I'll post some pics of the day later today or tomorrow.
Hil and I had a pretty good week of skiing before that in Utah. I was in Flagstaff, AZ and SLC, UT for phD program interviews. Never thought I'd ski in AZ, but got in a few hours of free skiing (I guess they don't check tickets at the AZ Snowbowl). After a day and a half of interviews in Flagstaff headed up to SLC, where it proceeded to snow 12" overnight with bluebird skies by 10AM. Hil arrived the next morning and we skied the next three days with our friend Stacey (some of you may know her) at Park City, Snowbird and Solitude. Felt a little taken advantage of by the $77 lift ticket price at Park City (fortunately we only had to buy one), but they aren't kidding when they say "The greatest snow on Earth" Pretty fluffy!
Now I'm back in AK working hard on my Master's thesis. We haven't quite made the decision yet, but it is looking like Hil and I will be hailing from either Flagstaff, AZ or SLC, UT for the next several years.
I know tales of skiing are a little lame without pics, but that's all for now. Be back with pics tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home