Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Part II: A little place called the Wasatch!

Part Deux,
Ironically, Erica and I headed out of Jackson in another snowstorm on Dec. 26th. I wanted to leave early in the day, but I felt like puking until 3pm and realized that I had left my Debit card at 43 North the night before. I waited until 4pm to grab my card, then took a trip to the Village where I had left my Helmet and goggles the day before....brutal. So we pulled out of Jackson around 5pm in heavy snow, eventually arriving 6.5 hours later at Seth and Hilary's place, in the heart of the Mormon Empire. We were stoked to be in Utah and the forecast looked good for snow. The next day, Hilary, Seth, Erica, and I headed up to hit a backcountry shot across the canyon from Alta. The snow was light and delicious, and the skin track was already put in, now this was Wasatch touring! We clipped tickets and skied Alta in the afternoon. The next few days are a blur. We toured in Big Cottonwood canyon, across from Solitude, and in Butler Fork where we logged 4200 feet of climbing. The evenings were spent drinking real microbrews, a novelty in Utah, and playing beer die with 3.2% Pabst. Take note, Erica and I beat Hilary and Seth 8-6 in a heated match, I had two plunks, Hilary had one, and Seth had one! We were unable to have a rematch during out stay....maybe in January?? The last day in Utah was impressive as Erica and I sacked up and bought two tickets to Alta. Due to storm conditions, no pics were taken. However, the snowfall from that storm totaled at about 24", the shit was deep! We worked the high traverse all morning, skiing the steep trees as much as possible. Erica finally dropped her first 15 footer on Teles, she was stoked. So the moral of the story is that I'm moving out to Utah once I get my shit together. Now I'm back in Colorado after a phenomenal Yonder Mountain String Band New Years in Denver - which I'm still recovering from. Typical Colorado Avy conditions exist in the Rockies upon arrival - massive wind slabs that sit on significantly faceted layers beneath....oh well. Matt & Liz are staying at my house for a couple days and we plan to do some mellow touring and hit some resort skiing. Got some snow in the forecast, conveniently forecasted for when I return to school on Monday, damn. That's all for now...stay posted for the next trip to Utah in late January, my goal is to snap a photo of Natalie Portman at the Sundance film festival in Park City for the Blog! Happy New Year - may fresh turns be in all our futures for 2008!

Erica and Seth on Day 2 of touring:

Erica finding out why they call it "The best snow on Earth":

The Shenanigans begin back at Seth and Hilary's Place:

Flash back to Colby College, my new beer die name, "Beaker", can you guess who "Quadzilla" is?:

Backcountry Babes, Erica and Hilary on Day 3 of touring:

Hilary, showing her new Gotamas who's boss:

Seth, airing it out a little:

Seth, on our last ridge climb of the day:

Hmmmm, that 3000 feet of Pow looks good, oh, and this Chai is delicious too:

Seth, getting some air time at the end of the day:

Erica, diggin' into the Aspens:

Seth in the blower:

Seth, saying see ya later to a good day of touring:

5 Comments:

Blogger More Cowbells said...

TK, first you tell me "free the heel, free the mind...get left behind" next thing I know you've freed the heel. Also you made it well known that Utah SLC skiing was 2nd rate & now your talking about moving there. You're more fickle than Cooper is with his toys. You're a walking talking skiing shit-bag of hypocrisy. Oh, by the way make sure your next trip to SLC is the end of January. I'll be there the 24th through the 30th.
Actually it would be perfect if you moved to SLC, you would be the teacher for a group of Mormons...hahaha.

1:41 PM  
Blogger tim said...

Tyler teaching Mormon kids. I love it. Dude, you might get run out of town for your liberal atheist ideals. Then again, maybe they would rub off on you and you would convert. I could see it going either way. Erica might have a hard time figuring out that funky undergarment system...

4:20 PM  
Blogger TKsports! said...

Greeny, suck on deez nuts! You live in southern Vermont. End of story. And yes, SLC skiing is Second rate, to the Tetons, where I was living when I made those comments. The only thing fickle is your ski style Greeny, being that it's from 1991. You need to apply to a institution called the NEW School, biotch.
Grayson, sorry I don't teach prepped-out rich kids in Jackson that need an excuse to get out of public school. I actually work for a living, i.e. I have more than 40 kids in my classes. And fuck yeah I'm an atheist liberal, this world wouldn't be half as fucked up if it weren't for religious zealots roaming the globe!

10:26 PM  
Blogger pvb said...

Yo, Greeny, Quinn, and Balz - I'm headed to MRG this Sat/Sun. I'll be in lessons for most of the morning, but then I have free-ski after lunch. Any chance you guys could make it over there?

11:02 PM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

Pierre, you're finally sacking up and taking some lessons eh? I'm working Saturday, I'll see about Sunday.
TK, don't bring my "ski-style" into this shit...when was the last time I actually skied with you,1991? You don't know me and you sure as hell don't know about my ski-steez. You gonna make the trip to SLC? because the beer die pics made me drool a little and I need a partner and somebody to suck on my rooster-comb...biotch.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home