Monday, April 28, 2008

Spring in Utah

Hi guys-
Seth and I hear what Quinn is saying...we are pretty excited about warm weather here too. It has been a long time since we have had a proper summer--Seth especially. In the spirit of summer in the desert, Seth and I have taken the money collected from selling the ole' Subaru up in Alaska and bought a Eurovan Camper! It is great. A 1995, with 107K miles, and it is running great. We had it inspected, and as soon as we fix the oil pan (it is missing a few bolts) and get it lifted a few inches, it will be a lean (well, not that lean) mean camping machine! We are going to try to head down to Moab this weekend and try it out. We have been mountain biking a bunch, and went on a great ride yesterday on an island in the Salt Lake.

We have some other good things going on too in our lives. Firstly, I am pleased to announce that Seth is the 2008/09 recipient of the WEST Fellowship, teaching k-12 students science issues in the west, along with his own research, all while getting funded for his next year of school. It is a great mixing of science, his research, and not having to be cooped up at the University doing science with only scientists. Secondly, I started my new job today. I am working for an environmental consulting firm in Salt Lake as an Environmental Planner with a Water Resources Focus. I am pretty excited. I had a great first day. I think it will be a great experience. It is my first professional job in the private sector, so it will take some getting used to, but I think it will be a good thing for me to do for a while. And right now it is 21-39 hours a week, so I am easing back into the work week.

Anyways, that's all from SLC. Oh, our garden is underway, and we spent the weekend (our first at home in 6 weeks!) getting our yard all pretty and planting some more veggies.

Miss you guys,
Love Hils

1 Comments:

Blogger More Cowbells said...

Now you just need some 20" chrome dubs on yo ride and a bumpin system.
Biking out on Antelope Island huh? must be pretty nice. Beautiful scenery out there.
Great news for both of you guys, glad to hear things are working out so well in SLC for you two (that means a place for me to stay for at least a few years to come there).
We're finally getting some rain today...it's been awhile. Storm took a track up the Appalachian mountains so I don't think higher elevations are seeing snow which some guys thought might happen. Oh well, at least the birding has been getting good. Saw some good birds down on Long Island this weekend. Later ya'll

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home