Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Blizzard of Ahhhhhs - 08-09 NorthWest/Jackson Trips

After recovering from a brutal cold, my buddy Adam and I loaded up the Subaru and hammered for Jackson. The early start proved critical as snow was moving into western Wyoming the afternoon of December 19th. The shabby base at J-hole was questionable at best when we arrived, but a series of storms pounded the region until our departure on December 25th. 6 days of getting my ass pounded by Jackson took its toll on my body, but there was more skiing to do on this break. Linked up with Matty Heyliger for some backcountry skiing on the pass, we weren't disappointed. In the end, it was difficult to drive out of town Christmas day with 18" on the ground and snowing hard. The worst of it came on I-80 on the way home when a 50+mph gust blew the ski box OFF THE SUBY!! I slammed the breaks and hucked myself onto the highway to retrieve poles, skis, and various sleeping gear. A near miss with a Semi and we were back on our way to Denver.
Got home, unpacked, repacked, and flew to Seattle on the morning of the 26th. Spent time with Erica and the Family for a couple days then rendezvoused with Pete Girard and Dave Riss....and the Northwest slay-fest commenced. Snow was being measured in feet in the Cascades last week, not inches. Avalanche danger was High to Extreme so very little BC skiing went down. Didn't matter, there was plenty of freshies to be had inbounds. Dave claimed he was washed up, but he didn't appeared to be phased by Med school, at all. Maybe because he was a Division I downhill racer?? We had a great time hanging out in Leavenworth, WA (Bavarian town by nature) at my buddy Jake's house, and I consumed a lot of coffee in Seattle, WA. Caught a 24" day at Crystal last Friday....some of the best skiing of the break!! The cliff dropping was amazing in the heavier snow...stompy!
Flew back on Sunday night, and after a four hour delay, got back to my house at 415am, took a nap, woke up at 6am and went to work.... 10 days of skiing, worked body, no sleep before my first day back.....Powda' skiing with friends, Priceless!!!

Here's a Photo Album of the Trip in Chronological Order, Enjoy!!

Welcome to Jackson after a 9 hour drive.....

Lovin' the Cowboy Powder on the Pass!

Nothing like some Natkin Tele-Steez:

Natkin and I rest on the uphill with the dogs:

Matty H. gettin' some on the Pass:

Jolly Tim on Christmas Eve in Jackson:

Another small air at Crystal:

Some Massachusetts style right here:

Hangin' with the ultimate Mogul Skier:

Pete getting smothered at Crystal:

This guy is extreme....

Riss, Scoping another steep Pillow Line:

You can ski steep stuff in the PNW without all the light snow sluffing off:

Dave gets Extreme at Steven's Pass:

Arriving at Crystal with 24" new...it's on!!!

Erica gets deep at Crystal!

Chair 6 opens and it's a free for all!! Check out the Sluff sldes...

Erica finishing the afternoon at Crystal with style:

Anybody up for some Dick Burgers???

Riss and Pete get fully Metro in Seattle:

2 Comments:

Blogger 7 years said...

nice write up homes!
Especially the part where I am not washed up.
Team WU!!! whatup! pass the hot chocolate!

That last day I missed is still haunting me! That pick of chair 6 is sic!

Pete said there was a 12ft deep avy that overran the stevens pass highway yesterday! crazy shit

you are having the bomber ski season dude-jackson, NW, utah!
you deserve it for dealing with punk kids all day
peacy
dave

12:41 AM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

Riss, I think you've been hanging out with TK too much as of late, you're sounding like him.

Yeah, I'm glad TK will be there in Utah when I'm there cause now I know the conditions are bound to be epic. Seems to me where ever the kid goes, it starts pounding snow.

Some good pics between the two of you. Cheers for some good shreddin, I'll drink a Dale's Pale Ale to that one. Hoping to be skiing some good snow by weeks end here.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home