Monday, March 03, 2008

2001 Colby Grads on '07-'08 Injured List.... White Boys Can't Jump

So as I was preparing for my glorious return to the ski community after nearly 3 weeks of influenza and bachelor parties, I decided it was a great idea to join in on a two on two pick up basketball game this weekend. Keep in mind, I could be the worst basketball player this side of the Ole' Miss. So we were close to the end of the game, score 10-11, gotta win by two as per usual. I skyed high (well, high for me...) for a crucial defensive rebound and came down with the ball, grunting the whole way down. As I descended, I noticed my foot landed on a soft, sloping object, my friends foot and proceeded to role completely over, dropping 6 inches onto the hard wooden floor. Acute pain was paired with an inability to walk equaling female quality shrills and shrieks. The 50 year-old man cross court pulled his children back in fear. Long story short, I ended up in the emergency clinic until 8pm on Sunday night, wishing for a prescription of Vicodin to ease my physical and emotional pain. No such wish would be granted as I gimped out of the clinic with my ankle the size of a football and a "chipped" fibula bone. I got a cool "boot" and some crutches, the students really had a field day with me today. Good news, no broken bones. Bad news, a 4-6 week recovery puts the BC trip in jeopardy. As Bals said two nights ago, "Fuck you dude, I'm pulling you up in a sled to that hut if I have too!" We'll see. So climbing, biking, and skiing plans lay in limbo as I nurse my ankle back to health. Chalk up another one for the Colby 2001 grads Injured list, greeny, hope you're not next.
Peace,
TK

6 Comments:

Blogger tim said...

TK-
I am sorry to hear the bad news. I did the same thing in '02, trying to flex my weak skills on the BB court. Sounds eerily familiar. I recommend a photo documentation of the different colors your ankle will turn over the next month. Hang in there bro!

2:36 PM  
Blogger TKsports! said...

Tim how long did it take for your to heal? Will I be able ski in BC after three weeks of rest?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Quinn Keating said...

i would worry less about the chipped bone and more about the tendons, ligaments, and muscles that got worked during your March Madness session. those will feel awesome sooner than later, but won't be super strong for a while. Stiff tele boots are good. sneakers...not so good, so its nice that you don't ski in sneakers. Sucks either way man...sorry that you're dealing with that.

i wouldn't rule out the trip, but you;ll probably want to travel with some hefty meds just in case.

Ribs are on the mend...still hurt, but been skiing since Monday. Had some fluid collect in my lungs since i couldn't breath last week which is coming up in cool colors. tim, i'll photo document it for you.

8:08 PM  
Blogger TKsports! said...

swelling is finally going down, but ankle feels jacked, weak, and unstable.... Bals, get back to me as soon as possible about the job so we can figure out the plans for BC. Foot is still in the Boot, thought I'd leave it in there for 5-8 days to immobilize it. Then start some rehab on this sucka. Glad you're feeling better Keating, thanks for the hope as I hear conflicting outlooks daily.

11:39 PM  
Blogger More Cowbells said...

TK, I know you don't want to hear this, and I might be the pessimist, but by the way you make it sound you pretty muched f'ed up your ligaments in the ankle. Being in that much pain is a bad indicator. My buddy did a minor ankle sprain back just before New Year's and just got back on ski's for the first time last weekend, 8 weeks on the mend. He didn't even think he did much damage at first (maybe that was his problem though).
Sounds like you're on the right track though. Keep icing the crap out of it and keep it elevated, even after rehab starts. I would be absolutely amazed if you could hobble into Asulkan in a couple weeks, but you do have the knauer-power.

10:08 AM  
Blogger 7 years said...

Too bad you are the wrong side of the country for a little osteopathic treatment. Getting to know the ankle and foot real well over here.
dr

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home